Thursday, April 22, 2010

Celebrating the end of Classes


This is the last week of class at UL. It's hard to believe just 13 weeks ago I arrived in Ireland, wide-eyed with my North Face jacket and rain boots, and now it's almost time for me, who now rocks a new leather jacket and a pair of stylish black heels, to leave. Just around the time where I feel completely at home, comfortable and assimilated into the culture, I have to start sorting through clothes and purchases I've accumulated, decided what will make the final cut to go back to the States. Over the past few days I've truly had the most fun and done more stuff with all of my friends.
Sunday I watched the Munster match at one of the girls from the rugby teams house. Monday I got to meet up and share a drink with some of the other international students I haven't seen in too long. Tuesday I had my first musical experience at UL when I joined a friend at "Phantom of the Music," a musical troop that performed songs from more than 10 of the most popular musicals of all time. Wednesday was the day I proved to the world I do have a little bit of rhythm during my Irish dance recital. I also got to watch my friends show off their skills on the the tin whistle, sean-nos singing, bang the bodrhan (a hand-made Irish drum), and dance. After the recital, which gave me flash backs to elementary and middle school, I cooked a fabulous meal with my friends after which we tanked a bottle of tequila and went out and danced. Needless to say, it was a good night. Tonight is Lady Gaga night at one of the dance clubs downtown and Friday holds a beach party at Stables, our favorite on campus pub. Saturday, with any luck from the volcano gods, I will leave for Spain and Portugal. Let the good times roll.
These little things, these everyday activities are what make me love this place. I feel at home here and I will miss it when I leave. But knowing that I'm really and truly making the most of my last few weeks in Ireland makes me feel slightly better about boarding that flight back to America.

No comments:

Post a Comment