Monday, March 15, 2010

The Sullivans Come to Ireland


It's been about two weeks since I've last written, not because I don't enjoy sharing my little escapades, but simply because I had zero time to sit at my computer and dabble. My parents, brother and boyfriend arrived March 6 for a week of Irish living in the countryside. We rented a cottage in Ardpatrick, a tiny village about 40 kilometers from Limerick. Alice and Michael O'Neil's cottage was a 400-year old structure with a coal stove and a kitchen that I picture when I think of my "grown up house." It is part of a three building estate, complete with farmland, cows, horses, chickens and three of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. The landscape was magnificent, nestled in the hilly terrain in between the ruins of fortified houses and old castles. The only thing that could have been better was the heating — I could literally see my breath as I walked through the house. With electricity being so expensive in Ireland, everything is turned off until the last possible moment and fuel is used in moderation. So with a few extra layers and a stoked coal stove, we called the spacious cottage home for a week.
It made for a good base to travel from, and travel we did. Mom, Dad, Taylor, Nick and I went to Cork, Dublin, Galway and Kilarney, along with a few smaller stops along the way, catching sites like the Blarney Castle, Kilarney National Park and the original Claddagh ring store. We saw old friar hangouts and neo-gothic churches that are scattered throughout the Irish towns and country side. My family also got to see the UL Rugby team and myself play a winning match against Galway; mom was horrified and dad was impressed. We also at at some of the best pubs I've been to so far, with meals like savory Irish stew, bangers and mash, all washed down with sips of Irish coffee creamy Guinness.
Speaking of the black gold, I think my family discovered the best place in Ireland to have a pint and a conversation. The Village Inn, a small pub which my parents stumbled upon during a walk became the keystone to my families stay. It all started when my parents took a walk down the winding roads after we settled in last Saturday. They found the Inn situated in the middle of a town whose school house is home to just five students. They strolled through the front door to find the place packed with people in suits and dresses — yes, my mom and dad had just crashed a wake. They were invited in to join in the celebration of an O'Sullivan whose ashes had been laid to rest that day. They had so much fun in the afternoon they brought us back for more that evening. The owner, Nuala, was welcoming and friendly, inviting us back every night and finally to a sing song Friday event, where village members all over the age of 60 serenaded the tiny pub with traditional Irish music, the inflection and tone of the songs reflecting Irelands sorry, joy and history. That night in Nuala's bar truly made the entire week for my family and I.
On a less tradition, but just as fun note, we celebrated my brother Taylor's 19th birthday. Vodka, Bailey's, tequila, wine and Guinness make for an eventful and entertaining birthday celebration. We capped the week off in Dublin with a night out on the town. I'd say the Sullivan clan did a good job this week in celebrating our Irish roots, and also surviving driving on the other side of the road (with only a few near death experiences.) Slainte!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog addition Katie! You are very talented as a tour guide as well as a writer!
    Love,Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete